Post by Peter Seager-Thomas on Sept 5, 2013 15:54:38 GMT -5
A briefer entry than intended due to computer problems. Again.
Work on the Delage has been concentrated on completing the basic chassis and building the wheels.
The chassis is constructed from 16g brass. 2 pieces are soldered together then the two side rails are drilled and shaped as required. Most material is removed with the mill with the trusty files only coming into play for the final shaping.
Only limited holes are drilled, these being for front spring (front) anchors and front and rear mounts for the rear springs. The front brake operating cross shaft remains to be drilled.
Much is actually somewhat oversize by up to 50%, but when that 50% is perhaps 10 thou, it does not seem so bad. I did consider steel for the frames but was wary of drilling tiny holes in it.
The next stage will be separating the two rails and jigging up for the motor mount, together with front and rear axle location.
Work on the wheels of course started a while back and after several delays is now progressing rapidly, indeed one project for this winter is to build up wheels for all the cars planned. More on this in the next post.
Post by Peter Seager-Thomas on Sept 6, 2013 14:22:46 GMT -5
Mark, you are spot on. A left over habit from model railway days and building locomotive chassis’. Soldering the two chassis rails together will ensure the holes on each chassis rail are aligned and also means you only have to mark them out once.
The piano wire crosstubes will be joined by other parts to make a rather stronger structure.
The motor will be mounted almost exactly halfway between the axles.
Whilst the body to be fitted is a long way off, a basic body will be made to ensure clearances etc.
Post by Peter Seager-Thomas on Sept 11, 2013 14:19:18 GMT -5
More on the Delage.
As is so often the case, shortly after a significant action (parting the chassis rails) I found a little more information on chassis fixings, so now front spring shackle and rear damper mounts have holes drilled.
The front damper mounts serve a dual purpose, not only providing somewhere to mount the dampers, but also to provide jigging holes for the rear axle mounts. The part finished mounts will eventually be joined at their front ends, doubling up as a frame spacer and also a mounting for the pinion bearing.
Still a bit of material to remove from the rear of the rails.
The rear axle is a Slot it parts, though may yet change.
Once this area is complete, the motor mount and front axle will see a little attention.