Post by Phil Kalbfell on Jun 4, 2017 15:06:54 GMT -5
I think you are making it a bit difficult to remove the body if anything goes wrong during a race. Why not cut out the body,use some spring wire to bonded to the body to strengthen the area and if you want to close off the opening attach some styrene sheet to the chassis around the suspension and paint it black.
David, the Ferrari is really coming along nicely. Interesting to compare the solutions that Andi and you have devised to incorporate the Policar gearbox into your chassis builds. I'm not so worried about how long it will take to remove the body in case of the need for servicing. As Andi said, a mechanical issue would likely relegate you to last place in that race anyway. I do, however, worry that those little screws might loosen and go missing during a race or servicing. Please include some spares when you send the car to me.
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 11, 2017 11:49:31 GMT -5
Time is slipping away and I'm really not where I should be with the Ferrari. I built two cars last year in less time than I've spent on this car - and in 2015 it was three cars! The exhausts have been problematic, as has the very small windscreen and the tubular frame round the gearbox. I wish I could achieve smaller three-into-one connectors for the exhausts. However I think I have all the parts made now and the next stage is going to be painting and final detailing. I'm hoping to do plenty of tyre testing too! Here are some photographs of where I've got to.
Post by Andrew Rowland on Jul 13, 2017 2:30:21 GMT -5
Looks absolutely amazing David. For the three into one connectors would you try cutting down pieces of the metal conical tube used to make paint brushes? You could find the exact size you need and buy four of them? I'm guessing that your desire is to 'scratch build' every piece yourself rather than use 'found' objects? A beautiful notion that my time does not allow me to attempt in this period of my life!
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 13, 2017 14:07:54 GMT -5
I'll use anything if it works! I had been thinking about paintbrush ferrules and I'll certainly try them on the next set of exhausts but time has run out for further work (they took ages to bend to the right shape and fit) so I'll have to go with what I've got. I have tried copper wire and tube, wrapping the join with thin copper shim and soldering it all up - it works and looks better at the join but the copper wire is more difficult to shape than the aluminium and is a bit heavier too (and believe me I need to save weight - on the car that is).
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 25, 2017 15:11:25 GMT -5
Almost ready for engine detail and assembly now the body is painted, 'decalled' and clear coated. The engine needs a bit of attention to get rid of a little overspray of body colour and to add a little detail. The photograph below shows nearly all the bits to be glued and otherwise attached to the body and engine. The very small windscreen is going to be a little tricky to attach as there isn't enough room to insert rivets, so clear glue it will have to be. The wheels and inserts are drying after final painting today. The chassis is run-in and tyre testing is complete although I haven't finally decided which to use - Paul Gage or BOSA.
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 30, 2017 14:32:16 GMT -5
Thanks Stewart. Here are some photos of the 312 'kit' assembled. The engine detail is almost complete, the mirrors are attached (not sure how they will fare in the cut and thrust of racing) and Chris Amon is installed in the cockpit. I’m still working on the wheels which have been the most troublesome part of the project, partly because getting the wheel inserts to fit in the CB Design hubs has not been straightforward and partly because I’ve had several attempts at getting the gold colour to look convincing. Apart from final assembly I need to fit the windscreen and I’m not looking forward to it as it will involve glue with all the potential that offers for messing things up!
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 31, 2017 14:52:48 GMT -5
Thank you John, Nigel, Andi and Thomas. The 312 is now completed (although I might feel the need to do a few final tweaks!) and road tested. As I mentioned previously I was not looking forward to attaching the screen but with some precautionary masking tape applied to avoid any glue spread onto the paint work it went surprisingly well.
Overall I'm quite pleased with final result, however as always I can think of things I would do differently next time and some I could improve. The Ferrari weighs in at 70 grams so will not be the lightest car on the grid I'm sure. Anyway time is up and I'll be posting the car off the Stewart in the next few days. I'd like to thank John for his invaluable help and expertise in producing the body.