Post by David Mitcham on Apr 2, 2017 14:04:02 GMT -5
Whilst I was in New Zealand, as well as carving the Ferrari 312 (see post under the 1967 GP du Canada thread), I did some further work on a carving I started some time ago - the Ferrari 156 of 1963. This was the car with which John Surtees won his first F1 race for Ferrari at the Nurburgring. Now that Il Grande John has passed away I'm determined to finish it as a tribute to one of the Britain's finest racers (on two wheels and four). There were two versions of the 156 in the 1963 season - one with a full engine cowl and one with a simple mesh cover over the injection trumpets of the V6. I decided would be fairly easy to produce both versions, therefore the the basic body carving is for the cut down engine cover version to which can be added the full cowl. Apologies for the rather grubby appearance of the carved body - its going to be sprayed (hopefully tomorrow) before sending to John Warren for initial moulding and casting.
Post by David Mitcham on Sept 4, 2017 15:03:49 GMT -5
Now the 312 has gone off to Canada I can return to building the 156. I received the casts from John sometime ago and splendid they are. I've started preparing the shells and have a chassis almost complete (a cast off from another project). The intention is to use the same chassis and running gear for both versions - the Monaco car with the full engine cover and the German GP winner without the raised spine. Here are some photos of the shells.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 3, 2017 9:03:30 GMT -5
Now that I've entered the 2018 Tasman Proxy the pressure is on to get the 156 completed. The chassis and suspension detail is finished and initial testing has gone well; the SRP 16k rpm motor is somewhat more lively than a BWA and the grip levels seem good. The exhausts are attached - fortunately I had some spare trial units from the Ferrari 312 which I could adapt. The body is almost ready for painting once I've made and trial-fitted: the rollover bar; gearbox; grille mesh; windscreen; instrument panel; injection trumpets and their wire mesh cover; and, of course, John Surtees. The Tasman car is going to be the 1963 German GP winner.
the pieces of wire inserted in the rear suspension linkages are just there to hold everything in place - I have made the rear radius rods but they are a tight fit and I don't want to keep inserting and removing them.
David Looks good. Always find comments about motor performances (SRP vs BWA) interesting - an area that I am still trying to get my head around. Like your pics of the suspension though I feel intimidated when I see all those minute suspension parts fitting through holes I can't even imagine how they are made and kept clear! Look forward to seeing the progress and thanks for sharing.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 16, 2017 11:39:20 GMT -5
A brief up-date. The body is now painted and decaled - not sure wether I'm going to clear coat or not (the finish of the paint is much glossier than it appears the photos below). I have a week now to finish the build (mainly attaching bits to the main body and inserting John Surtees) and I think its going to be enough.
Looking very good David! A contender for the Car Constructor's Award by the looks too. John and the boys at Fulham Park Raceway, a round held in South Australia, gift a very nice trophy to the one who wins their vote for this award in the Tasman proxy. Being for a hand built chassis , no bought brackets.
Tyres, what you using? On the front in particular.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 17, 2017 10:12:11 GMT -5
Thanks for the comment - I'm striving to get better with each build but I've a long way to go to reach your standard.
Thanks for the compliments. I don't think the Ferrari will be eligible for the Constructors Award because the front and rear brackets are steel kits from Richard Mac. The tyres, front and rear, are Paul Gage, the fronts are are the harder, standard compound, the rears XPG.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 24, 2017 12:29:27 GMT -5
The 156 is more or less finished - just couple of small details to add and a final run on the track to make sure it still runs well with the body attached. Then its off to New Zealand for Christmas and the New Year with the antipodean part of the family. Apologies for the photo quality; it was difficult to find somewhere with good enough lighting and the minimum of shadows (I may try to take some more in daylight tomorrow).