Post by Chris Wright on Apr 4, 2014 16:05:35 GMT -5
Matt hopefully these plans will help. The RA-300 was also called the Hondola, because the body was a modified Lola T-90 Indy car, in fact Graham Hill won the 66 Indianapolis 500 driving a Lola T-90. Below you will find two plans I hope they help....Chris
A big thanks to everyone here who is providing me with information on this car!
Parts are arriving so it's time to get messy. I'm already behind the curve as far as time goes. Still waiting for other parts, specifically the critical wheels and tires. But experiments in body fabrication can begin.
This is a PreWing resin shell. Great service from Prewing; it shipped out immediately and arrived in just a few days!
Nice shape to this shell. Going by some specs and drawings I've found, the length and height will be reduced a bit. The width is pretty close, so that won't be changed. Unfortunately, these modifications mean that most of the lovely surface details will be lost.
The motor separates from the rear bulkhead cleanly.
The body shell has been reduced in size to a degree that an FK-130 motor isn't possible, so an FF-050 will be used.
With a motor form decided, I can start to think about the gearbox. If I go for an offset arrangement, I may not be able to use a BWA bracket. I'll probably make my own bracket, which is always a problem .
Set up block, wheel blocks, and body shell patterns made from leftover scraps. Tedious, but possibly useful.
This nose cowl is what I must make - for me, a daunting task. This fantastic photo was taken by member David Mitchum - thanks David!
Thanks for posting your work Matt, you can see it's coming on in the right direction and looking like another first class build. How did you go about making the wheel height jigs? Are they machined or hand made. Thanks Nigel
Thanks guys. David, your photos are good - maybe too good. Now I don't have any excuse if I don't shape the nose accurately.
Nigel, the wheel jigs are hand made from PCB. It took some time to mark them out, cut, drill, file to exact dimensions, etc. After several hours, I thought - this is crazy! - what am I doing? But at $0.05 worth of PCB, they were worth the time.
Mechanical parts are starting to arrive, but I'm still bogged down with re-proportioning the body. After further examination and measurements, I've decided to completely re-build almost the entire shell.
All this beautiful surface detail will be removed
Augmentation of the lower section
Marking out registration marks for re-proportioning
The lower half is lopsided and asymmetric, so more material is added in layers. This plate of styrene will be attached to the bottom
More augmentation with styrene. Some of the parts have arrived.
I'm trying different tricks and tools in an attempt to get some accuracy. Whether it will work, who knows, but it's fun to experiment.
Now that's a great idea, I have often thought about getting one of those profile gauges. I may have to now, now let me see, where is that list of things to get, mmmmm, oh dear it's getting a bit long, perhaps I could get it through a DIY project for the house! You really do it the hard way don't you Matt, but it is worth the effort judging by your other models, can't wait for the next instalment. Regards Nigel
I think, this becames (I would like to say: as usual...) a masterpiece! In Germany, I know only one man, who works with such an accuracy, unfortunately, he doesn´t build formula cars... I hope, you will be ready in time!
Thanks Taffy, that's a nice compliment coming from someone who makes such beautiful cars.
I also hope to make the start of the race and barring some catastrophe, such as the chassis falling apart, the car should be ready. Construction has been ongoing. I'm not hiding the in-progress work, I've just been having some difficulties posting photos. I'll try to get some new pics up soon.