Hi, Here is my latest build. Made from a DNQ shell and fitted with a Scalextric chassis it was fairly straight forward. I could not get quite the right lines for the white/red section of the bodywork (after three attempts I felt that this was close enough).
Decal are from Indycals and the rear wing is a modified Scalextric unit.
Sorry if there are too many photos and none of the build process but here we go.......
Last Edit: Sept 6, 2015 11:28:30 GMT -5 by Philip P
Post by David Lawson on Sept 6, 2015 12:58:49 GMT -5
You've made a very nice job of the Ferrari Philip.
This was one of my top two or three grand prix cars, it has lovely lines with a great colour scheme and the engine sounded wonderful.
Here is a very grainy old photograph I took of Niki Lauda at Copse corner in practice for the 1975 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Masking a gently curving line between two colours is tricky when you are following contours on the bodyshell. I'm sure there are various ways of doing it but my way is to mask the shell and draw the separation line onto the tape. You can then either run a scalpel blade along the line leaving the mask or you can take the tape off the shell stick it down onto a plastic sheet and cut it there before re-applying to the shell. Whatever, your car looks excelleny anyway.
Thanks for your comments David. I will try your suggested method of masking curved lines the next time I have a build that requires it. It sounds so simple and yet effective.....just like all the best ideas!!!
Post by David Lawson on Sept 7, 2015 5:12:14 GMT -5
It is as easy as the explanation. It's worth practising a few different shapes of masking on an old shell but you will find that with a brand new scalpel blade you need very little pressure on the Tamiya tape and the blade doesn't wander from the line as the tape just grips the blade enough to steady it.
I actually got this tip from my days of making Tamiya 1/12 and 1/20 F1 kits, it was the method they illustrated in their construction instructions.
Not too many photos Phil, more, more! That is very nice work, and the car has the clean look of a larger scale model. This post really caught my eye because the Tamiya 1/12 scale 312T was the first Tamiya kit I built in the 70's, and your car has the same look of that larger scale car. The color separation looks good to me, wouldn't have given it a second thought until you mentioned it.
Thanks for your comments. It is appreciated and amazing to me that people with skills far superior to mine enjoy seeing my little creations.
Peter, the tyres on the 312T are from Scalextric and so they already have the Goodyear tampo on them. It is the only reason I use them as to be honest, they are such awful tyres that offer no grip, even after a bit of truing. (I put a magnet under the cars that have these tyres so they can run.) My cars are not for completion so the looks are the first priority and these tyres look good.
However, on many occasions I have used tyres without any printing on them. What I do then is use standard decals (Pattos) and coat the sidewall with Klear. If gives them a gloss finish but a coat of matt varnish should also do the job and provide a duller finish. Here are some I prepared earlier (get down Shep!).