Post by Andrew Rowland on Mar 15, 2016 2:32:54 GMT -5
Really lovely work David. I have some questions..... There seems to be a new fashion for mat paint which presumably gets gloss on top. I thought about that a while back because mat just seems to go on flatter and thinner than gloss. I wonder if you could tell us more about that process? How do you control the colour? I am quite unfamiliar with this car. The vents in the front body top and the side openings don't line up with the axle seemingly. Is that a feature of the car? Or have you been forced into some adaptations? Not meant as a criticism just trying to get to grips with what and why.....
The exhausts look really great and the jig to hold them must have taken almost as long as the exhausts themselves. A mark of a real master making all the bits that then get discarded....
Post by David Mitcham on Mar 15, 2016 4:20:59 GMT -5
The paint is just Halfords red primer. The colour in the photographs is misleading - in reality its not anything like as red, more a rust colour. A gloss coat of proper red will go on top. I always find primer goes on much better than gloss, fewer coats and somehow smoother.
The front axle line is well back towards the chassis tub so the vents are forward of it; that's the way it was/is, so no compromises!
The jig for the exhausts is just four ferrules soldered together - so cheap and took about five minutes to make!
I ran the car before it got to this stage (but with the suspension and body attached) and it went well. It only has a low revving BWA motor but it went well and handles similarly to the Lotus 72. Its very smooth and, subjectively, I would say its a bit quicker than my scratch built brass/wire chassied 3 litre cars - I don't have timing on my track, yet!
Post by David Mitcham on Oct 16, 2016 16:45:37 GMT -5
Well after a break of months whilst I built my VRAA cars and had a couple of months in Canada I've returned to the 312 and should have it finished in the next week or so. Here are some photographs of the latest progress.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 1, 2016 14:38:32 GMT -5
Thanks John, Bob and Andi.
Here's the finished car. Its taken much longer than I planned but then I did build two VRAA cars after I started and got diverted onto one or two other projects as well. It drives well enough but I think I'll put a more lively motor in it rather than the BWA one it currently has.
Note these photographs replace one's no longer available from Photobucket.
I've had a lot of trouble with Photobucket in trying to post these photographs - is anyone else having problems? There seem to be subtle changes to the way it works, I only seem to be able to upload the lowest quality pictures (hence the rather dull looking paintwork) and copying the URL from Photobucket into the 'Insert Image' facility on the Forum seems very hit and miss.
Lovely rendition of the Ferrari David, lots of detail as usual. I use the BWA motor in my 1961-65 cars, representing the 1.5 litre era and the standard scalextric motor from the models of the 3 litre period, I feel it fits in with the jump in power. Regards Nigel
Along with others great work brilliant ect But to me looking at this and other scratch built details I find inspirational.Even tho ill never be as good this work these pictures give me enthusiasm to at least have an attempt at some xtra details however so minor . .So thanks for such great pics JOHN ELLIS
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 30, 2016 15:27:17 GMT -5
John, thank you for the kind comments. Do have a go at detailing your builds, you'll be surprised how easy it is given a bit of patience and trial and error. Its amazing what you can do with a bit of wire, rod, tube and a good soldering iron!
Stewart, yes I will put a proper motor in the 312, maybe I'll invest in a Policar one!