Post by David Mitcham on Mar 30, 2016 14:15:23 GMT -5
This is my entry for the 2.5l class in the VRAA 2016. It was going to be the Goodwood car but I changed my mind and chose the Silverstone, British GP one; they both carried number 7, so no need to alter my registration! At the time of the Grand Prix Stirling was entered in the 250F purchased for him by Ken Gregory and Alfred Moss (for £5,500!) - he was soon to join the works team as result of the quality of his drives in the 'privateer' car. In the GP he was up to second behind the Ferrari 625 of Gonzalez but retired ten laps from the end with a broken rear axle.
Moss being chased by Hawthorn's Ferrari.
I'm using a Dave Jones shell (which was my concours prize in the 2015 VRAA). It reminds me of the first Scalextric set I had (1958?) where the two tin plate cars were a green Maserati 250F and a red Ferrari. The Moss car was green (but what shade?!) with an off-white/cream nose band.
So far I've opened up the shell (but not the front axle openings as yet) and constructed chassis which uses Richard Mack steel rear and front brackets.
Post by David Mitcham on Mar 30, 2016 14:53:58 GMT -5
This is the Richard Mack web site www.mackslotracing.co.uk/index.html. I don't think he advertises the parts I used - I came across them at the UK Slotcar Festival last year. If you're interested I would email him (I think the address is on his web pages) although he can be a little slow to respond.
As for the Maserati trident as luck would have it I have a spare photo etched one from a GTM Maserati 300s kit. George is very obliging so I expect he would sell you one if you ask him nicely!
Post by David Mitcham on May 28, 2016 14:20:44 GMT -5
A little bit of progress on the 250F. The rear suspension is built and the body is almost ready for priming, once I've made and inserted the stone guards behind the front wheels. The chassis has been completed and tested - it runs smoothly and handles well and consistently, whether its quick - who knows!
Post by David Mitcham on Jun 5, 2016 14:37:55 GMT -5
Suddenly everything is coming together on the 250F. The front suspension is complete which finishes the chassis; the body has been prepared and the necessary holes made for attaching the exhausts, filler caps and screen; Stirling has had surgery and is almost ready for painting; and I primed the body this afternoon. I'll let the following photographs speak for themselves.
Note: the odd device on the end of the exhausts is a simple jig to hold the two pipes together pending properly fixing them in place.
Post by David Mitcham on Jun 30, 2016 13:53:40 GMT -5
Its finished! I've focussed on finishing my 2.5L entry over the past few days and completion took very little time in the end. I've no idea whether the shade of green is anywhere near correct but I've read a quote from Stirling that it was a light green so I've gone for something which is a bit paler than British Racing Green. I've not clear-coated as cars of the era did not have the high gloss finish of those of today. It weighs in at around 70 grams so its not a lightweight but it goes round my track well enough and I believe is quicker than last year's Ferrari 801. Now to finish the BRM.
Incidentally the '54 British GP was run in wet/damp conditions hence the visor on Stirling's helmet rather than goggles.
Post by David Mitcham on Jul 1, 2016 2:16:59 GMT -5
Thank you Chris, John and Nigel. I thought the Silverstone car would have Union Jacks as well, Chris, but looking at several photographs showed that they weren't present - see below. A bit disappointing as they would have added a bit of colour and interest to the model.