Here are the qualifying times and driver's impressions of this year's cars. As always it was a true pleasure to race these great cars. They improve every year.
22A. Brabham BT7 Slo1 quick 9.100 Exceptionally smooth car. Perfect amount of grip. Great out of slow corners and excellent top speed.
16. Brabham BT7/11 Stubbo 9.457 Smooth and quick but lacking slightly in grip. Good into and out of slow corners but a bit twitchy on exit of fast ones.
11. Honda. Newso RA272. 9.868. Good acceleration but lacking in grip. PP chassis is quite rigid making high speed corners. Had a very difficult with the Karoussel turn.
9. BRM P578. RIR. 9.451 Very well balanced car. Excellent in all types of corners. Good grip. May be geared one ore two teeth low for this track which hurts top speed.
28a Lotus 21Old 23 9.338 Very smooth and consistent car. Good grip. Excellent in slow corners. Could use more brakes.
47. Brabham BT7. Newso. 9.469 Smooth and quick. Lacking a little top speed. Particularly good coming out of solver corners
69. Porsche 804. Ferrari 1950. 9.380 Very light car due to mostly plastic chassis. So, great acceleration and braking. Good in slower corners but the light chassis makes it a bit top heavy. It's quite tippy in faster corners, especially the Karoussel.
61. Brabham BT3. GAS. 10.012 Gear mesh is a little rough. Acceleration just a bit off the pace. Could use more grip.
8a. A. Rowland Lotus 21 9.623 Smooth car, slightly lacking in acceleration. Better in slower turns than fast ones. Good brakes.
7a.Datto. Ferrari 158. 10.479 An amazing car! Very light with working front suspension. By far the best handling car in the field. Unfortunately it seems to be geared too low and the motor is a bit anemic.
6 Cooper T60. CX. 9.123 Very quick and smooth car. Great acceleration and grip. Turns very consistent laps. Very good in the important Karoussel turn. This car seems to get better every year.
5 BRM 48/57. David Mitcham. 10.221 Like all of David's cars, a joy to behold. Smooth but lacking in acceleration and grip. Might also be geared a bit too low for this track.
4. Emerson. Phil Kalbfel. 9.513 Great handling car! Very neutral with good brakes and acceleration. Could use just a bit more grip.
26 Bugatti 251. Rossko. 9.866 Smooth, good handeling car. Good grip. Could use more brakes
28. Maserati 250f. Ecurie Martini 9.867 Handles well, especially in slower parts of the track. Lacks grip making the faster corners a challenge
69. Maserati 250f. Ferrari 1950. 9.533 Rear tires seem a bit short for a 250f but certainly improve handling. Very stable, good acceleration and braking.
38 Ferrari 246. AMCC. 9.562 Quick and agile. Good grip and brakes. Particularly good in exiting fast corners.
22. Lotus 16. Chrisguyw. 9.500 A jewel of a car! Handles great. Very quick with good brakes. Could use a bit more grip.
20. Vanwall. Charles. 9.332 Very quick and agile. Turns consistently fast laps. Excellent top speed and acceleration.
19 Vanwall. Munter. 9.884 Good handling car but needs more acceleration and brakes. Particularly slow out of slower speed corners.
14. Maserati 250f. Old 23 9.037 Very quick car. Handles very well and has excellent acceleration. Best brakes of this class.
10. Mercedes 196. Dayton/Mark. 10.613 Very interesting car. Beautifully built with excellent detail. Appears to have a printed chassis. Though the car handles well, acceleration was poor. It also appears to be geared too low for this track.
8. BRM P25. Aloha. 9.577 Particularly good handling car. Could use more acceleration. Excellent grip.
5 Maserati 250f. Fastwagon 10.512 Nice handling car but lacks acceleration. Also seems to need more grip.
7. Maserati 250f. David Mitcham. 10.062 Beautifully built car! Handles well and has good acceleration. Unfortunately, it really needs more grip.
2. Mercedes 196. Retro Racer 44. 9.922 Great looking car. It seems a bit heavy and that might be why acceleration and brakes aren't up to par.
4. Aston Martin DBR44 Phil Kalbfell. 9.959 Smooth and easy to drive. Handles well in fast as well as slow corners but lacks acceleration.
And here are the Race Results from Circuit de Montana:
Post by Andrew Rowland on Dec 6, 2016 8:56:23 GMT -5
Thanks to everyone for running this round. I'm sure it is so much fun to drive these lovely cars!
I see my little Lotus faired better than previously, especially in the race itself. Seventh is exactly the mid field so i'm happy with that.... Don't want to get too excited of course but I hope it can run consistently in that mid field.