Post by Peter Seager-Thomas on Oct 16, 2012 13:51:45 GMT -5
This is a build started perhaps 3 years ago but postponed for a little while....
Based around the Matchbox/AMT kit, it is the first of four of these which I have waiting to be built up.
I like these kits. All have strange errors, but the detail is generally good as are the proportions.
We all learn by our mistakes! I should have built up the shell using other standard kit parts to aid alignment, then cut out the other parts. I did not, so the body unit is not spot on, though corrections can be made.
The chassis is a beaten aluminium one following the format of the T35 chassis' I did. I'll probably modify the former and make a fresh one, increasing the distance between the rear axle bushes.
The material is 16g so is pretty strong. A bit of weight towards the rear may be in order as I will be using one of Chris's Beardog motors in a front mounted set up.
The first wheel is ready for assembly. Not quite as good as I had hoped, but the best I can manage. At the moment.
I'm aiming to have the body ready for paint for the first sunny day after Sarah's greenhouse is emptied. A perfect spraying environment.
Post by Peter Seager-Thomas on Aug 5, 2013 14:31:36 GMT -5
A bit more on the T59.
One of the reasons for this car being back on the bench is my effort to firstly try and concentrate on cars which are already started and secondly to continue my efforts in producing a beam axle car with a bit of give in the axle.
The chassis, in beaten aluminium, was originally made to take a slimline motor, but recent experience on a long track made me realise that I need different cars for the long circuits, thus both the latest K3 and this Bugatti have S Can Mabuchi type motors.
When I make this type of chassis, the outer face of the chassis all but touches the inside of the body, so maximum space is already provided for the motor. The chassis sides had already been tapered to make them less obvious, thus the motor all but fell in when the hole was cut.
The axle was an ‘improved’ version of that fitted to the K3. Made in plain mild steel, the thing is way oversize, but should thus take any knocks without problems. Making these axles will hopefully contribute towards the intended all-but-scale axle for the Delage 2LCV. Standard wheel parts are used with the addition of some slip-on finned brake drums. The wheels are clamped onto 3/32” brass sleeves which in turn run on ordinary sewing pins. The axle is slotted to take the pins which will be soldered in place, the excess cut off and filed to shape.
My wish was for an axle with a bit of give, so the axle is drilled to take some 1mm spring steel wire. This wire was then bent in a variety of directions to then be clamped around the remnants of the old FF motor orifice.
The last part to be figured out is the guide. The T59 has a long wheelbase (roughly 81mm) so I’ll probably look at a forward facing guide mounted behind the axle.
One disappointment has been the wheels, which I feel are acceptable, but by no means good; these are thus wheels which will not appear for sale. It appears that normal photo-etching tooling cannot cope with the file as drawn. Imagine taking a picture at 1200 dpi and having it printed at 300dpi.
The identity of the car is as yet undecided, though I guess it will be a works entry of 1934.