Post by David Mitcham on Nov 13, 2014 7:41:02 GMT -5
Hi again Lynne
Following up from my previous post I thought it was a bit mean not to show you in more detail my spring/damper technique so I quickly made one up and here are some photos of what I attempted (badly) to describe. The spring is one of the commercial ones I mentioned. For some applications they are a bit short and in that case I use one and a half (or so) - see the rear units on my recent Tecno PA123 postings.
Post by David Mitcham on Nov 13, 2014 8:55:44 GMT -5
Thanks for the compliment David. I used the same method on the Cooper T81 although for that I made my own springs. These are from Cornwall Model Boats, although I think they are out of stock at the monent.
Oh wow. That spring damper is excellent. It might be a little too realistic for the rest of the project as it stands though. I'm really only looking at a fairly 'impressionistic' type approach. I think if I was to put something as realistic and detailed as those on the broad brushstrokes chassis design that I appropriated from Mr Lawson they would dominate the attention a little too much.
Jack has been delayed a little. Hopefully he'll be ready to take his seat some time in December. Fingers crossed that Marc has better luck with his prototyping than he did with the last Shapeways attempt.
Trying to do some springs currently. Had to wait for the day to warm up a little so that I can work with the little bits of wire. Once that is sorted I'm back to body work.
What is the best type of guide to use on these? I tend to use the Ninco sprung ones, but there is bound to be something more suitable.
Well....That was fun. I made up some 'springs' with fine nickel silver wire and threaded them on a piece of piano wire and soldered it in place.
Nice and easy. Looked good. Looked even. I was happy with it. And then I decided to put it all together. Hmmmm.... The suspension/dampers were obstructing the axle. So, back to the drawing board. Trying to get the in place the second time was no where near as easy. But by the time I chased things around the floor a few times I finally got the into something akin to a suitable place.
It'll pass for me. Though I know it's not up to the usual standards of those around here.
Post by David Lawson on Nov 15, 2014 17:50:34 GMT -5
Hello Ms Haines, Mr Huber has confused you by showing you a photo of my Lotus 49C chassis hence the spring unit being in a different position. Never mind your work is excellent and I am enjoying the thread.
Ahh well. Live and learn. I'm afraid I got too caught up in duplicating the chassis to look hard enough at the plan printout that I have sitting underneath it. (chuckle) We shall call that a bad case of tunnel vision.
Of course, the error means that the wheelbase is somewhat longer than it would be. If I had another set of brackets I would have another attempt (leaving the wrong one to fall back on until replacement is right) but those brackets are very hard to come by lately. Never mind. I'm sure I'll make many more mistakes yet.